Hartford HealthCare is committed to meeting your healthcare needs and treating you with compassion from the bedside to the billing office. We realize that most medical expenses are the result of unexpected illness or accidents and are difficult to budget for.
As a courtesy and convenience to you, Hartford HealthCare has many ways that we can assist you:
- Financial Counseling: Hartford HealthCare provides on site financial counseling to our uninsured and under-insured patients. This includes an explanation of the payment plan options available, the billing process and an assessment of your financial needs.
- Medicaid Eligibility Assessment: Hartford HealthCare can provide you with an evaluation of your financial needs to determine if you qualify for government assistance programs such as Medicaid and assist you in the application process.
- Financial Assistance: Hartford HealthCare provides financial assistance to:
- Uninsured patients: means a patient who has no level of insurance or third party assistance to assist in meeting his or her payment obligations for healthcare services
- Under-insured patients: means the patient has some level of insurance or third-party assistance but still has out-of-pocket expenses such as high deductible plans that exceed his or her level of financial resources.
How to Apply for Financial Assistance
Patients receiving medically necessary healthcare services may inquire about Financial Assistance from Registration, Social Services, Care provider or Patient Accounting.
- A Financial Coordinator will meet with you to assess your financial needs and determine if you meet the eligibility requirements for any of the assistance programs. Factors affecting eligibility include: Income, Family Household size, Evaluation of medical expenses and special circumstances.
- Patients are required to complete the necessary applications and provide requested documentation, such as financials to verify financial needs.
- The Financial Coordinator will complete the Financial Assistance review and notify the patient of approvals and/or denials and any additional assistance that may be needed within 5 business days.
Hospital Donated Funds
Patients who are demonstrate financial need and are approved for financial assistance may be eligible for funds to cover their medically necessary healthcare services provided at a Hartford HealthCare facility. These funds may have particular criteria for selecting eligible participants. In some, the patient must come from a certain town; in others, the patient must be a particular gender, age, or associated with a certain company.
** Financial Assistance is not available for non-medically necessary services such as cosmetic procedures or residential services. Other services may be deemed non-medically necessary on a individual basis.
Cost and Quality
If you have an upcoming procedure or diagnostic service that has been scheduled at one of our hospitals, you may request further information about our cost and quality. An estimate of what the allowable amount is for your scheduled service can be provided to you within 3 business days. Please contact the following numbers for further information:
If you would like to find quality related information about any of our facilities, you may visit Medicare’s website, Medicare Compare at: medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html or visit The Joint Commission at: qualitycheck.org.