Local Day Camps Step-Up to Help Windham Hospital Cancer Patients
Thanks to two-area summer camps, four children with caregivers who are being treated for cancer at Windham Hospital were given free admission to camp this summer.
Working with the hospital’s Cancer Navigation program, Holiday Hill Day Camp in Mansfield and the Channel 3 Kids Camp in Andover provided full admission to the children giving needed assistance to caregivers who are experiencing the physical and emotional stress caused by a cancer diagnosis. In addition, the Town of Coventry Parks and Recreation Camp and Camp Asto Wamah in Columbia each offered free spaces for children of cancer patients if the need had arisen.
“My heartfelt thanks to the camps for providing this valuable service to our patients,” says Kate Starkey, Oncology Services Manager. “Undergoing cancer treatment is a stressful, life changing experience. For those who are caregivers—especially those single parents or grandparents—finding childcare during lengthy treatment sessions can be a huge burden. Having the peace of mind that your children have a safe and fun place to go certainly relieves some of that stress.”
Starkey says in some cases small children have had to wait with a caregiver while he or she undergoes three of four hours of treatment.
“That can be taxing, not only for the patient, but also for the child,” Starkey says.
Windham Hospital’s Cancer Navigation program helps patients manage the daily physical and emotional burdens a cancer diagnosis can bring. Navigators can:
· Serve as a liaison between the patient and his or her medical team to help them better understand treatment options.
· Offer tools to help patients keep track of your appointments, lab results, medications, insurance claims and other journey-related information.
· Help patients find answers to questions about medical issues, financial and insurance needs.
· Direct patient to hospital, community, and American Cancer Society support programs.
· Coordinate transportation to and from cancer treatment.
For more information on Windham Hospital’s Cancer Navigation program, please call 860.456.6896.