Wall Signing Ceremony Celebrates Construction of Windham Hospital Family Health Center
State Senate President Donald E. Williams, Jr. (D-Brooklyn); Elliot Joseph, President and CEO of Hartford HealthCare; and Steve Larcen, President and CEO of Windham Hospital were joined by local officials, hospital staff and community members today (August 14) for a “Wall Signing Ceremony” to celebrate construction of the Windham Hospital Family Health Center (formerly referred to as the new Medical Office Building).
Participants signed their name and a message on an interior wall of the building letting future generations know of their part in the planning, construction, funding and operation of this historic project. Construction of the 30-thousand square-foot facility, slated for completion in the spring of 2013, is well underway. The $10.3-million facility, funded in large part by $8.3-million dollars in state bond money, will house dozens of primary care physicians, medical oncologists, physical therapists and rehabilitators, laboratory workers, orthopedic surgeons and general surgeons.
“This project demonstrates the state’s commitment to ensuring residents have access to quality local health care,” said Williams. “It’s also an investment in preparing the region for future job growth in the ever-expanding health care industry.”
The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that between 2008 and 2018, the professional and business services sector and the health care and social assistance sector are anticipated to grow at more than twice the annual average for all industries and will add the most employment nationwide, with 4.2 million and 4.0 million additional jobs, respectively. The project alone created more than 100 construction jobs.
“This new facility, including the services it will provide, represents our commitment to expanding community access to high-quality health care close to home,” said Joseph. "The Windham Hospital Family Health Center will provide a strong anchor for ambulatory care in eastern Connecticut and will help improve coordination of care with primary and specialty care located right here with easy access to Windham Hospital."
Announced tenants include:
· W. Jeffery Baker, MD (Hematology/Oncology), Oncology Associates
“This facility will give our patients easy access to essential medical services right here on the hospital campus,” said Larcen. “Thank you to our state leaders, especially Senator Williams, for directly addressing the health care needs of the people of eastern Connecticut and helping promote the growth of Windham Hospital and the overall economic health of the region.”
· Clinical Lab Partners
· Mark Dailey, MD (Hematology/Oncology), Oncology Associates
· Timothy Hong, MD (Hematology/Oncology), Oncology Associates
· Jeffrey M. Kamradt, MD (Hematology/Oncology), Oncology Associates
· Pragna Kapadia, DO (Hematology/Oncology), Oncology Associates
· Michael Kilgannon, MD (Primary Care), Hartford Medical Group
· Les Kolodziejczak, MD ( General Surgery), Hartford Specialists
· Vincent MacAndrew, MD (Orthopaedic Surgery), Connecticut Orthopaedic
and Hand Surgery Center
· Robert O’Connor, MD (Orthopaedic Surgery), The SPORTS Centre, LLC
· Herbert Ridyard, MD (General Surgery), Hartford Specialists
· Stephen Scarangella, MD (Othopaedic Surgery), Connecticut Orthopaedic and Hand Surgery Center
· Frank Siracusa, MD (General Surgery), Hartford Specialists
· Windham Hospital Rehabilitation Network
Windham Hospital, founded in 1933, is a non-profit, acute-care community hospital serving 19 eastern Connecticut towns. It has 131 beds, conducts nearly 4,000 surgeries annually, and its emergency department has been ranked among the top 1 percent of hospitals nationwide for patient satisfaction.